Marriage and Chapel Use Policies
The marriage covenant, by which a man and a woman form with each other an intimate communion of life and love, has been formed and endowed with its own special laws by the Creator. By its very nature it is ordered to the good of the couple, as well as to the generation and education of children. Christ the Lord raised marriage between the baptized to the dignity of a sacrament. Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1660
The Sacrament of Marriage is a sacred, joyous event where a man and a woman establish a lifelong covenant with each other before God and the community. Only Catholic weddings are conducted at the Shrine and the expectation is that either the bride or groom (or both) is a baptized, active Catholic. No wedding may be celebrated at the Shrine if one or both of the persons being married was previously married to another person who is still alive, unless that previous marriage has first been declared null or dissolved in accordance with the procedures of the Catholic Church.
Outdoor weddings are not allowed on the Shrine grounds. Church teaching states that marriage should only be celebrated within the church building. The Shrine Chapel is not a parish church, therefore all weddings celebrated at the Shrine are officially registered at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church in Juneau. Before submitting a wedding reservation request for the Shrine Chapel, please contact Joe Sehnert, Executive Director, at 907-586-2227, ext 24. Marriage preparation is typically a 6 month process.
- Special arrangements can be made for a rehearsal and/or decorating prior to the ceremony.
- Vehicles are not allowed to be driven across the causeway. This includes transporting flowers, photographer’s equipment, brides, etc. A rubber tire pull cart is available for use. A wheelchair is available at the end of the Lodge for those in need.
- A changing room is available and is kept locked until ready for use. The controls for lighting are also in this room and should only be adjusted by Shrine staff.
- The Altar is not to be moved.
- Birdseed, rice, glitter, and confetti are not allowed inside or outside of the Chapel.
- No animals are allowed in the Chapel.
- Music: While the Shrine does not wish to dictate the type of music played at your wedding, this is a Chapel and the music should reflect the sacred space.
- Candles: Two white iron candelabras are available from the Shrine on request. You will need to provide your own dripless candles. Each candelabrum hold nine 1 inch in diameter candles.
- Wedding Photo: The Shrine of St. Therese would appreciate receiving a donated photo for the Shrine Wedding Album. Please send a photo to: Shrine of St. Therese, 415 6th St, Ste. 300, Juneau, Alaska 99801
- Parking: There is a parking lot above the Caretakers House. Vehicles may drive to the lower area only to unload supplies or people needing assistance. All automobiles are to be to parked in the parking lot.